Friday, July 20, 2012

Receiving a New Tortoise

Well this past week I took a step I've wanted to take for a few years now, I purchased 3 Indian Star hatchlings! This brought me to write about what to do when you receive a tortoise whether it be from shipping or even a person to person deal.

1st thing I do every time I get a new tortoise is to soak. For this 1st soak I make it extra long (about 30 min) and switch out the water with warm water a couple times during the soak. This will hydrate the tortoise and give me peace of mind knowing for a fact its been soaked.

Next I place the tort in its enclosure. It's a good idea to have the enclosure sprayed down, cleaned, and have full food and water bowls upon the tortoise entering its new home. Another good idea is to make sure the temperature has been steady for a couple days. Instead of just putting the tort in the enclosure and watching him/her walk around, I place the tort(s) by the food so they know where it is then I leave them alone completely. I will take a peak every couple of hours to make sure things are ok but I like to leave them alone so they can adjust to their new environment without me bothering them.

Many people worry when their new tortoise sleeps most of the time. Not to worry, 99% of the time your tortoise is perfectly fine. Tortoises (babies especially) sleep most of the time, not to mention they are still adjusting to a new environment.

Happy torting! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment