Friday, July 13, 2012

Dealing With Irrigation

Last night at 3:25 AM was irrigation time. People in the Desert can probably relate to this but I'd assume people back east might have no idea what I'm talking about... Regardless, irrigation is normally a simple process unless you have tortoises.

For my Sulcatas it's not big deal, the water comes, they move. During they day they soak and escape the nasty AZ heat. My Greeks however are a different story. They have an area that stays dry even in irrigation but half of there enclosure goes under water. You'd think they'd just go to dry land when the water comes in but no, they either hold their breath or try scaling the fence. So even in the middle of the night I have to go to their enclosure and move them to the dry land. No big deal right? Yes! Once I move them they continually go back to their near drowning experience. Once I repeat the process several times MOST of them get the hint.

Despite the tortoises lack of street smarts the irrigation creates an opportunity for the grass to grow thick and replenishes their feed. It's also a great way to cool things down and gives me a few days off from spraying down their enclosures.

No comments:

Post a Comment